The busy life of a full time employee, student, mom and wife

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mother Nature hates So. California.

It's October right? October as in... Fall, Halloween, changing leaves, chilly weather, all that fun stuff... right? Someone forgot to send the weather here in San Diego that memo. Yesterday it was 103 degrees. Thats hot even for our summers. We are in a seemingly endless heat wave and i've just about had it with this heat! I have friends who live in all different areas of the US. And they're all posting pictures of changing leaves, their kids in sweaters and boots, them in scarfs and jackets and I'm turning red with envy. I would be turning green if it wasn't so damn hot, all I can do is turn red.

I'm a native San Diegan. My grandparents came here from Kansas and Oklahoma, my mom was born here, my siblings and I were born here, and my kids were born here. We're pretty rooted in San Diego. You would think I would be used to the weather and embrace living in pleasantville where the worst weather we get is some heat and/or a little rain. But I really don't. I know that I take it for granted, but the fact of the matter is, I don't know any other kind of weather. To me, this is boring. I see other areas of the US that have real season and I swoon. I'm so envious of areas that have actual weather!

Last year Brandon got offered a job in Bridgewater, New Jersey. Its a cute little down in central NJ. Brandon approached me very cautiously about the opportunity, thinking I wouldn't be on board but I jumped at the opportunity and literally started researching the town ten minutes after he told me about it. Yeah yeah I knew ew NJ but the chance to live out East, and live somewhere with real weather was so insanely exciting to me. Unfortunately the move didn't work out. Clearly. Because we're still here in pleasantville.

It's not so much that I hate San Diego. Sometimes I say that I do, but I don't. I love the beach, I love how SD is unique in that you're an hour or less from the beach, the mountains, the desert, and the city. You have it all smooshed into one area. We have Disneyland, Sea World, Legoland, the (world famous) SD Zoo, Knotts Berry Farm, and the Wild Animal Park all within an hour or two drive or less. San Diego is the type of place people dream of, I realize that. But damn its boring after 26 years of it.

I can feel Fall trying to break through. Its chilly at night and first thing in the morning. It cools down quick after the sun goes down, but then that asshole sun comes back the next morning to heat everything up again.

Someone send me some fall leave? A jar of cold (not AC produced) air?  Or better yet, someone give me and/or Brandon a job somewhere else so we can have real seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment